Friday, November 20, 2009

Google Chrome OS

The thought has intrigued me since I first heard the news that Google is currently developing an OS of their own, based on the Linux kernel. There has been a lot of buzz around the internet, and in particularly within the last few days, surrounding a Google press event held yesterday to show off a preliminary version for reporters, and to answer any questions.

From most of the reports that I've read, the presenter, Sundar Pachai, who is a Google VP, danced around some questions that press in the minds of many who follow Google. For instance, some may ask what the pricing will be for an OEM netbook, or something similar, and the answer invariably is "we can't say". For the most part, according to this Cnet article, Pachai did not reveal anything that hasn't been known already, which to me is a big disappointment.

On the upside, what fascinates me with Chrome OS is that Google is developing the software with netbooks in mind. They are focusing in large part on bringing to bear the power and connectivity of a regular laptop and at the same time making it  mobile, quick and responsive. In the link embedded in the previous paragraph, you can see exactly what Google's hardware specs are for the OEM version.

Other problems that skeptics(and you can include me here) is the OS's branding. I don't see why Google has both a browser and an OS of the same name. True enough that Chrome OS and the Chrome browser will be very similar in style and function, but I'm concerned that there might be some confusion and lead to some branding issues.

All that being said, as an avid(though novice) Linux user, I'm excited to see the launch of Chrome OS sometime next year. No doubt we'll see many blog posts and news articles all over the internet divulging new features or problems, so I'll keep my eye out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment