Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I've Been Waiting For This Day

A man in California(go figure) was arrested for wearing navy medals that he did not earn. They included a Navy Cross, the Navy's highest honor just under the Medal of Honor, a bronze star and others that the article lists.

He was spotted today by an actual Navy Commander, who then called the FBI.

I have been waiting for this day with a certain diabolicalness(the spell-checker let me say diabolicalness). Don't get me the wrong way, but hear me out. My dad is currently a Navy Commander himself, and both of my grandfathers served in the army. To give a little more context to my opinion, I will tell you that I have seen the buying and selling of such medals in gun shows and army/navy stores, which I think is disrespectful. The medals should remain with the family of the person who was awarded them, and if those people want to sell them I think of as despicable. These things should not be bought and sold because you think they are cool and are worth something. They mean something to the man who earned them, part of the sometimes inadequate compensation. Sometimes it is impossible to compensate our brave soldiers for their service.

Respecting the medals that these men and women earn in the right way is only one of the things that we can do to properly honor their service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment