Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Really Need To Stop Taking Things Personally

It's bad for my blood pressure.

But seriously, most of you who may read my blog already know that BYU won the annual rivalry game against the Utes. As a Ute fan, all I have to say is that the Y gutted out a tough win, Hall overcame the stigma of five interceptions of last years game, and all in all, a great game to watch. What you also may know is that Max Hall, BYU's quarterback, made some harsh comments after the game. Some of what he said,
 "I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, their fans. I hate everything," Hall said. "It felt really good to send those guys home." "I think the whole university and their fans and the organization is classless," Hall said. "They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don't respect them and they deserved to lose."
I don't know Hall at all. Only ever seen him on TV. Some of what I said on facebook after the fact:
Max Hall is a retard. He totally made himself look like a jackass in some of his comments after the game.
btw deseret news is obligated to back up Hall because being BYU quarterback somehow qualifies you a free ride to the celestial kingdom.... 
I don't like being associated with beer throwing fans. The other thing that Hall has shown the world is that BYU tends to foster the "I'm holier than you because I'm mormon" attitude. Thats not cool either because just because I'm mormon I get associated with that. Hall just made himself 100,000 + enemies tonight, and the only way he can get past it is to apolagize. I feel symathy that some idiots threw beer at his family, but that's no reason to "hate" a program and a whole fanbase either. Stupid Jackass-like comments he made.
"Do you really want me to go into it? I think the whole university and their fans and organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose."-Max Hall after the game. So just because I'm a Utes fan I'm a beer throwing lunatic. Well, I guess I need some more practice at it.....
Rain falls on even the good people. God has nothing to do with BYU sports or the Y would be #1 in the nation every year. But if we wanted to bring God into everything, we should pray for the sense to take it all as a rivalry, not make anything personal, and to have a good time playing. Hall didn't do it. Nobody does. This is what our world comes to in most facets of life. I'm sorry for all the rants Josh and Sean, but I just have to vent when I feel a personal attack, even if Halls comments don't look that way. Y fans, don't take my comments personally, either. I'm just callin' 'em like I see 'em. The Y gutted out a tough win, Hall overcame the stigma of some mistakes, all in all a good game. I just wanted to mention some things the way most of my peers don't realize.

Compare what I said to what Hall said. He didn't say much. I made myself out to look like a total dirtbag. I think that this is the tendency that a lot of us have, to make something stupid develop into something undeservedly overblown. All over the internet we see it. It's what make the news entertaining some nights. It's how we identify the idiots of society(like myself).

I realized this while I was trying to come up with a new zinger to throw at Hall and his fans. You can see my last comment in quotes that I was beginning to feel this way. I wanted to make this post to show myself, more than anyone, that we should not see ourselves as better than someone else simply on the basis of a few comments. I'm sure Max Hall is a great guy, and if I end up going to the same ward(I belong to the same church as Hall) as him, I would hope that we became friends.

These are the types of things that I can see driving other sectors of society apart. We need to realize it where it happens and stop it.

For those who have viewed some comments of mine on facebook and took offence, I offer my sincere apology, and hope that this doesn't deter us from a good relationship.

Now that I have said all that, I feel a little bit better. Just put this behind me so that I can blow something else out of proportion. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment