Saturday, May 22, 2010

Memories From The Heat of Arizona- UPDATED LINKS

As some who are acquainted with me know I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and as such I chose to endeavor upon fulfilling two years of full-time service for the church preaching the tenets of my religion. I was sent to Tucson, Arizona. Part of my assigned area included the Gila Valley, and area north west of Tucson. The valley, settled by many of the same pioneers who followed Brigham Young to the Salt Lake Valley, were sent all the way to Southern Arizona to settle as part of an enormous plan to settle the west. These pioneers put down roots in the Gila Valley, and have been there since the 1850's. Much of the area is still thickly populated by active LDS members, but has since found much diversity both religously and racially.

I spent a lot of time in this area as a missionary, and have grown to love it. All the time I spent walking through the towns there in 115 degree heat, the dust storms while tracting neighborhoods and just getting to know the people there brings back fond memories. I saw much happiness in the Gila Valley, especially as I was witness to people who were searching for happiness were able to find it by coming unto Christ. That is why with recent events transpiring in Central, Arizona, namely the dedication of the Gila Valley Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints tomorrow, I'm drawn to all of these memories and a longing-even a homesickness- to be there and experience it all for myself.

I write this to bring your attention to a great event for our time, and because it's something that is special to me. Hopefully this post has brought back some fond memories of your own. These can be a powerful motivator for doing good in our own future, to bring true happiness into our own lives. Here are some links to some of the details of the dedication, as well as some pictures of the temple itself.


0 comments:

Post a Comment