Thursday, December 17, 2009

Come On, People!!!



For alot of you, what I'm about to share with you may seem like simple logic. While I concede the point that some people have made, to me, it's too stupid to ask a set of people to change just so we can get more people into a certain profession.

Now to add some context to my lamentations.

In this recent Wired.com article, Stanford professors have concluded after conducting a study that the "geeky" and "nerdy" stereotype associated with computer science has driven women from choosing that as a profession. I don't see a problem with that. Often people create a subculture that they attach to a profession or class. The "subculture" as it were, often contains it's own slang and a set of shared experiences that we cannot presume to dictate. I don't go into a beauty college and tell them that if they are going to get more men in the profession to just throw out some comic books in the lounge. It's plain stupidity. Leave things the way they are. It's when we meddle where there is no real harm being done that creates huge problems.

And for all those who need to be "scientific", my observations are merely that, observations. Don't tout what I say as me presuming to be the end all of truth on this matter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment